Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The heat, Broadway and King Tut

It's been so stinkin' hot in NJ for the past few weeks and between the 90+ temps and hot flashes, I can't stay in my craft room without needing to change my shirt every half hour.  It's ok if I happen to be doing laundry (my craft room is in the basement), but I've been much more content to stay in the lovely air conditioned portions of the house and find other stuff to do.  I've cleaned out the linen closet in the bathroom and found 6 boxes of tissues buried all the way in the back; I've cleaned out the bottom of my closet and found 4 pair of shoes I forgot I had; I've gone through the bookcases and taken out books to donate to the library and found 3 books I never read; I've picked out a new floor for the kitchen and a new stove too, debated about taking down the wallpaper and decided that job could wait until the fall.  And for the past two Sundays I've taken a trip into NYC with two of my daughters to see two great Broadway shows:  The Lion King and The Addams Family.  We had a ball and if it hadn't been 100+ degrees on both of those trips and getting stuck in the only train car without AC (both times) we would have had an even better time.  I live less than 20 miles from NYC and can see the city skyline from my house (well, from the bridge down the block), and I very seldom go there.  But these 2 trips and shows were fabulous and if you ever get a chance to see them, run -don't walk. 


The Lion King is such a huge, colorful, brilliant musical production - you are overwhelmed and don't know where to look first - just fabulous!  My kids grew up watching this video, so it was as familiar as it was new.

The Addams Family was hysterical and it's 2 leading stars are Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth. Every one of these characters had a fabulous voice and kept you in stitches from the beginning to the end especially Jackie Hoffman who plays Grandma.  I'd watch Nathan Lane read the phone book, so this was such fun for me.

Then, as if I wasn't happy enough, we walked a half block to the Discovery Times Square Exposition and saw the King Tut and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs exhibit.  It was magnificent, could have stayed there for hours but was anxious to get back on the NJ Transit train car with no AC and sweat some more.....

2 comments:

ThePurplePlace said...

Hi Doris,
Thanks for the kind comment you left on my blog! It's always nice to know we are not alone in living with Fibro!

I hope you are doing okay and managing your Fibro as best you can. Crafts are what I have to keep my busy and I truly enjoy them. I am so thankful to have this hobby and it's what keeps me going!!

Hugs and Happy wises to you,
Lisa

ScrappyJess said...

Wow! Your day was just like shopping but for free! I wish I could see Broadway!