Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering 9/11

Like the whole country, today I'm remembering the horrible events that took place on 9/11/01.  It's a day we all remember where we were or what we were doing when we heard what was happening.  I live less than 20 miles from NYC and could see the towers from the bridge down the block from my home.  When the planes hit, I could see the smoke from my living room window - I was terrified.  I happened to be off from work that day, my husband was in upstate NY with his brother, my kids were all in school.  The roads in and out of my town were immediately closed because there is a major gasoline processing plant on the other side of town and it was thought to be a possible target for another plane.  As I watched in disbelief what was happening just a few miles from me, I was working on the phones trying to coordinate a head count of employees we had working in the towers.  I knew I also had family members who worked there - were they alright?  How could this be happening?  My oldest daughter was a first responder and left school to go with the town's rescue squad to help.  The stories she told me of the things she saw there still chill me to the bone.

For many days afterwards, I could see the smoke from my office window and from my home - it was all around me.  The dust settled on my windows and my cars - dust of thousands of souls and large buildings that no one would have ever dreamed could fall.  The train station was filled with the cars of people who would never come home.  American flags flew everywhere and churches were filled with people praying and lighting candles.  When they started to clear the rubble, it was brought to a landfill in NY that I could see from the other side of my town - it was all around me.  I don't think I've ever been so sad and hope I never will again. 

Each of us remember 9/11 in our own way.  Tonight I'll be able to see the memorial lights from my living room window - it's still all around me.  My prayers were answered that day when all my family and friends came home alive.    My prayers continue for those who didn't and for their families.  Fly your flags today and remember them in your prayers.

No comments: