Friday, April 29, 2011

One last CAS Challenge for April

Hello blogland!  It's Friday and that means a new Clean and Simple Challenge at Simply Scrapping Crafts.  This week's challenge:  use a non-craft item on your project.  I have to admit, this one really made me think outside of my comfort zone - and it took me a while to come up with something for my project.

But once I got an idea, I think it turned out pretty cool.  My non-craft item is the big white flower made from....white Michael's plastic bags! 



How did I do it?  I cut up a few bags, taking off any portions with writing, and making rectangles of the cut pieces.  I then layered 3 or 4 pieces, turned my iron to high, and put the rectangles between two towels.  I then began to iron the pile and kept the iron moving.  This can take a few minutes, but the plastic rectangles melt together to make a leathery feeling swatch.  I used the Tim Holitz Tattered Florals Sizzix die and cut two of the large, medium and small flowers; creased all the petals in half upward to give the flower some dimension; used a small hole punch on all the centers and used a large K&Co. brad in the center.  Whatcha think?  I'll definately be making these again, lots of fun!

Be sure to stop by SSC and check out all the challenges - something different every day of the week!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

love that background, and the flower in white really pops. nice work! nice blog!

karen irvine said...

what a clever idea! shall definitely have to try this. really looks nice on the brown card. great embossing.

JustYolie said...

I love the embossing background...beautiful card...I may have lift this idea. :)